Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Random Notes from a Crank

I get annoyed about how some people complain about having to ask for straws or having to use non-plastic straws because of environmental concerns. 

When I'm at an eating establishment that provides water or whatever non-alcoholic beverage in an open container, I don't need a straw. I'm a big boy. I'm not some child who needs a straw to drink my beverage. Using a straw in an open container is like an adult drinking out of a sippy cup. 

I've been watching the only season of Alone that's on Netflix. Of the reality programs out there, this is one that intrigues me because of the ingenuity of the participants. 

The fact that so many of these contestants go days without eating is remarkable, but the show also makes me think about how early hunter-gatherers had to be fanatical meat eaters once they got their hands on some wild game. 

From a pure caloric standpoint, fish or game provides a ton more calories than a plant-based diet based on foraging. Also, from an evolutionary standpoint, the Homo sapiens eating meat helped grow their brains and made them stronger. 

While I get being a vegetarian from an environmental standpoint, I would have a hard time being one. I'm not a fervent meat eater, but I'd like to be more intentional about the meat I eat. 

In a positive political story, Kansas voters rejected changing the state's constitution to support an abortion ban: "Kansas Abortion Vote Shows Forced-Birth Zealots Should Be Very Afraid." 

My hope is that access to abortion will be a major issue in the mid-terms that will help pro-choice candidates on the ballot. 

No comments: