Friday, May 20, 2022

Random Notes from a Crank

I grew radishes this year in my garden, and they're going great. I use them as an alternative to potatoes when I make pot roast in the slow cooker, and you cannot tell much of a difference when the radishes have been in the slow cooker for about eight hours. 

It's clear that industrial ag sprays something on the radishes after they've been picked because I picked a few a couple of days ago, and when I tried to use them for a salad, they were all soft and not good eats. 

After I cut up a ton of radishes for the pot roast dish, I got to thinking. All these leaves that I'm composting - are they good to eat? 

Apparently they are. 

You can use them similar to any other kind of greens. So I'm going to add a few to when I wilt some spinach, which I'm doing quite regularly since my spinach is kicking it right now. 

The culinary scions of the InterWebs tells us that they have a peppery flavor. I chewed on one raw leaf, and it reminded me of the taste of mustard greens

And apparently you can substitute radish greens for basil and make a pesto

I've been making my own salad dressings for the last year or so, and the quality of homemade ones is such much better than that store-bought stuff. 

My go-to recipes are thousand island and blue cheese dressing, and occasionally I make a balsamic vinaigrette. 

No comments: