Sunday, April 11, 2021

Random Notes from a Crank

It seems I've gotten to a point in my life that most of the time I don't know who the musical guest is on SNL, and about half of the time I don't know who the hell the guest host is. 

I've gotten back into watching Jeopardy on a regular basis. And I've downloaded the app on my phone. So I'm getting all trivia happy. 

I recently finished Elizabeth Kolbert's Under A White Sky: The Nature of the Future. Scientists of various specialities are working hard toward trying to fashion methods for us to alter climate change. As she says in the final chapter, "But, as a rule, this enthusiasm [for their work] was tempered by doubt. The electric fish barriers, the concrete crevasse, the fake cavern, the synthetic clouds--these were presented to me less in a spirit of techno-optimism than what might be called techno-fatalism. They weren't improvements on the originals; they were the best that anyone could come up with, given the circumstances." 

After reading the book, I'm confident the people working on solar geoengineering are going to be serious players in the various sets of solutions we have to use to fight against the consequences of climate change. If policy makers let them. 

Perhaps halting donations and investments will get the attention of people who sponsor these stupid voting bills in state legislatures: "Companies Are Considering Withholding Donations and Investments Over Controversial Voting Bills in States." 

No comments: