Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Crock Pot Chicken Chili

I made this chili this past weekend. It's a slight variation of a recipe you can find online via couponcravings.com, but I'm posting it here just for ease of use (for me).

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs. of boneless chicken cut into cubes
1 onion, chopped
vegetable oil for sautéing 
2 cans of great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans of chopped green chilies
2 32oz. chicken broth
1-2 tsp of kosher salt
1-2 tsp of oregano
1-2 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp dried shallots
1 tsp of cayenne pepper
Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
1 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup of heavy cream

Process
Saute the onion and chicken in the oil for a good bit (15-20 minutes). Dump that mixture into the crock pot and then add beans, chilies, broth, and seasonings. Cook on high for one hour. Then move it to low for 2-3 hours. Fifteen minutes prior to when you want to eat it, add the sour cream and heavy cream. Stir thoroughly. 

Reflection
When I do this recipe again, I might add some other herbs or some kind of herb blend to the mix. I'd also consider adding a third can of chilies and using fresh shallots. 

No comments: