Monday, December 31, 2007

Lists about St. Louis

We moved from South City in June to humble Charleston, Illinois, and I enjoyed my five years in St. Louis. So I thought I'd offer a list of what I miss and don't miss about St. Louis.

What I miss:
Soulard Market
Lindenwood Park and Francis Park (the latter Hannah always described as "the mermaid park")
K&W Sausage Company (aka "the German butcher")
Extensive beer selections at supermarkets
Good Italian restaurants
The new doughnut shop--Eddie's--on Kingshighway, south of Chippewa
Fraternity cronies
Our little home on Plainview Avenue

What I don't miss:
Traffic
The "Where'd you go to high school at?" mentality
The self-appointed best baseball fans in America
The idea that pork "steak" is good
St. Louis style pizza
St. Louisians' unnecessary use of prepositions (see high school question)

Limbo:
The Dialect ("highway farty" etc.)

No comments: