Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Random Notes from a Crank

Today is one of those days when I could really use playing a trap set for about 30 to 45 minutes. It wouldn't sound pretty, but it would make me feel good. Or hitting a heavy bag would work.

Poor planning: I made the mistake of thinking, "I'll just wait 'til the new store opens up to get some groceries." Stupid. Really stupid. You see, the big happening this winter is that County Market has opened a new store in our little hamlet. For those not familiar with the County Market but familiar with St. Louis grocery chains (I know part of my audience), the new store is a lot like the Schnuck's stores that proliferate/d with suburban sprawl, particularly in St. Charles county, or similar to the new Schnuck's off Loughborough in South City. Sort of like those but probably not quite as big. I had a number of items on my grocery list, but with the gawking, bustling, and visiting among the patrons tonight, I had to bail on getting all my stuff. Too many people. Too much foolishness. I was looking forward to a better beer and wine selection than the previous store, which it has, but it's not as diverse as a beer snob like me would like. So I picked up some Schlafly Winter ESB. I hope some Schlafly dry-hopped APA ventures eastward.

The Nasty household got a new chair delivered today. Everyone is taking turns sitting in it. Hell, I'm sitting in it now.

I know this is probably because I'm not used to them, but the past couple of days I've been examining Excel spread sheets. They make my eyes fuzzy. The interesting thing is that the resource I examine for my fantasy baseball draft also uses the spread sheets, but I don't get fuzzy eyes usually. I wonder if data related to the past and present isn't as sexy as future-oriented projections. Or maybe it's just the baseball related nature of the documents.

Before you know it, pitchers and catchers will be reporting.

I once had a girlfriend tell me that I was "stoic." It wasn't a compliment.

She was a bitch.

Tonight I got a good chuckle at my eight-year old daughter asking Mrs. Nasty to turn down her TV because she's trying to go to bed.

This is the same daughter, who, after coming home tired from gymnastics practice, got all upset when she got the reply she didn't want to hear about whether she could eat food on the new chair (which was "No")--the same rule we have on our new couch/sectional dealio. She proceeded to tell us she felt that we care more about the couch and chair than we do about her and her brother. She stated that she wants the old couch and chair back and even tried to guilt-trip her mother by relating that the old chair was Mrs. Nasty's grandfather's. That little gal knows the rhetorical appeal of pathos. Teenage years should be wonderful.

8 comments:

Fozzie said...

I was unaware mayflies could be stoic.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Yes, it is true.

Babe Runner said...

I remember the excitement when the Starbucks first opened in Charleston. I also remember when they practically had to set up velvet ropes and a bouncer outside the Thai place when that first opened. I can't imagine how nuts it must be at the new County Market. Charleston has certainly come a long way from being a town where the only place to hang out was the Rural King. Next thing you know Brangelina will be buying a house here.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

I heart the Rural King--love that store. And I bought myself a $3 Rural King trucker style hat to prove it.

R. Gay said...

.It was kind of crazy how busy the store was. I still went on opening day. I was practically giddy! Organic section! No more leaking ceiling and gross moldy floor! I was pretty embarrassed by my excitement.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Since I had my son with me, I didn't dawdle as much as I would have liked, and it was hard to navigate with the cart because of the crowd. This Friday or sometime this weekend is when we will explore.

I admit it. I was little giddy too.

No shame--just hunger for a decent grocery store.

Dr. K said...

I really don't like crowds, so we're eating all of the food we already own for now. On the other hand, I have been looking forward to Hannah's tween years--and it sounds like that horse is already leaning out of the gate.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Some days she's 8 going on 14.