Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Random Notes from a Crank

It's a bad sign when at 2pm on a Wednesday you're mentally exhausted -- just hit a wall.

Literacy brings questions: On the drive home today, my daughter, who is now an avid sign reader, asked me what a Women's Resource Center was. Not expecting such a question, I fumbled around with an explanation for a short bit and kicked into some concise informative prose.

One of my birthday presents last week was a light saber like my son's. We're taking on the Evil Empire one nasty dude at a time. He hits 'em low. I hit 'em high. Watch out Mitt Romney.

"No one gives a damn about the things I give a damn about./ The liberties that we can't do without seem to disappear like ghosts in the air./ When we don't even care, it truly vanishes away." ~Jason Isbell, "Alabama Pines"

From the January Harper's Index: "Percentage of workers with only a high school diploma who received employer-based health insurance in 1979: 70; Percentage of workers with a bachelor's degree or higher who receive it today: 66"

"There is no instance of a country having benefited from prolonged warfare." ~Sun Tzu, The Art of War II.6

4 comments:

Sandy Longhorn said...

Hey, Q. I remember being a child and being at the Waterloo mall with my mom. There was a sticker in the women's bathroom that said "Rape Crisis Counseling" and gave a phone number, and yes, that's how I first learned about that horrible violence, by asking my mom what it meant. So glad it was her explaining, as I'm sure your daughter will be glad it was you with whom she began the conversation.

As for the light saber, well, my husband owns several as well, and I'm sure he'd love to join you in the quest.

Thanks for the quotes, disquieting as they may be.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Thanks for the comments, Sandy.

fern said...

I'd be interested in the citation for the health insurance stats, which were indeed disquieting. But since they were non-parallel (HS v BS/BA) it would be interesting to know how the parallel stats play out.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

I agree, Fern.