Sunday, February 7, 2021

Random Notes from a Crank

 Of the stemware that's out there, the martini glass has to be the most stupid one. The glass is designed almost on purpose to be easy to spill, especially for the cocktail it contains, the high-alcohol martini. When I drink martinis at home, I use a stemless wine glass.  

The other night I watched Jim Gaffigan's Amazon stand-up The Pale Tourist. There's only two episodes - one for Canada and the other for Spain. Both are solid, but I really enjoyed the one about Canada. It's hilarious. 

I'm reading The Bird Way: A New Look at How Birds Talk, Work, Play, Parent, and Think by Jennifer Ackerman. It's a good book. I liked The Genius of Birds better. Regardless, in a couple of chapters when she's describing the behavior of raven and keas, she cites the concept of "emotional contagion" among those species.  

So now I'm thinking of how that concept plays out with humans. 

And here's something from Psychology Today to chew on: "Protect Yourself from Emotional Contagion." 

A month ago, the Nasty family got a membership to Costco, which in the long run is going to save us a good bit of money. One of the grocery items we have consistently bought when we go there is Kirkland basil pesto. 

But I wonder at the terms. By nature, traditional pesto is made with basil, so why the need to use basil as an adjective? 

No comments: