Friday, January 3, 2020

Music Friday: "Fight the Youth"

The video image below is the album cover of the first CD I ever bought, Fishbone's The Reality of My Surroundings, which came out in 1991. 



It's still probably one of my favorite albums of all time. And while I'm not an avid concert goer, Fishbone is one of the few bands I've seen in concert more than once. 

This song is the opening song on the album, and it's still highly relevant today, especially with the sickening rise of white nationalism and anti-semitism. 

For that reason, I'm providing the lyrics below. 

Fight the Youth

And now another story of stolen faith and tragic glory.
They claim to be your friends, 
but all the while they taunt you with lies.
They tell you what to think and how to face the world around you. 
You never question what you know inside is lax and untrue.

But take a look around.
We're not running anymore.
We're in the positive,
but we're ready for the war... for the war

Fight the Youth,
the youth with poisoned minds.
Ignite the truth.
Restore sight to these blind.
Fight the youth, the youth with poisoned minds.
And if they suffer, it's no fault but their own.

And every time I see the hatred that engulfs these children,
it makes me wonder if the quest for peace will someday subside.
I'm not afraid to wage the hopeless battles I must fight.
For I could never lose. I know my cause shines in the light.

Take a look around.
We're not hiding anymore.
Your weapon's cowardice,
and we won`t take it anymore... Anymore.


Fight the Youth,the youth with poisoned minds.
Ignite the truth.
Restore sight to these blind.
Fight the youth, the youth with poisoned minds. 
And if they suffer, it's no fault but their own.

And all the feelings of a generation fed with anger
make all the choices for a future where all nightmares come true.
I choose to fight for youth, to fight for truth, to fight for justice.
I choose to heal the wounds of sacrifice made by the children.

No comments: