Monday, January 7, 2019

Random Notes from a Crank

I know the ingredients of hot dogs are notoriously sketchy, but every once in a while a good old hot dog just hits the spot. The other day I just had a hankering for a hot dog, so I got myself a chili dog. 

I actually prefer Chicago-style hot dogs sans the raw onions. 

When my siblings and I cleaned out my dad's apartment after he died, no one else wanted a number of my parents' cooking utensils, so I snapped them up. One of those that I inherited is a serrated knife for cutting into grapefruit. I've been eating the hell out of grapefruit lately.

The whole deal makes me think about the nutritional qualities of grapefruit. Check out the stats on grapefruit. Mash the links if you're interested. 

I was also thinking the other day why some scientist hasn't crossbred an orange with a grapefruit, so you could have the grapefruit taste, but you could peel it like an orange.  

I am re-watching the Ken Burns documentary about the Vietnam War. 

One of the books I'm reading right now is the biography of Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow, the book that inspired Hamilton the Musical. I first reader Chernow's biography of Grant, which I absolutely loved. The Hamilton biography is quite good, but because my store of knowledge about the Revolutionary War period is pretty strong, I'm not as smitten with the Hamilton biography as I was with the Grant one. 

I'm having my daughter read Gaiman's American Gods. It's a gateway to his other works. 

There is a certain art of not saying what you really want to say in email.

No comments: