Monday, May 6, 2019

Stay Positive: Pitches and Pitchers

I have three more chapters to read in Tyler Kepner's K: A History of Baseball in Ten Pitches, and I am really enjoying it. It is well researched and interesting. 

The book had made me appreciate the genius of Mike Mussina even more. That guy was always experimenting and trying to get better. I was pleased Greg Maddux was featured in the chapter about the sinker/two-seam fastball because he had one of the best two-seam fastballs in baseball history. He was a master. 

The chapter on the curveball provides studies that posit the curveball does not create arm trouble. Rather, improperly throwing a curveball and picking all year round can cause arm troubles. 

And there are people who argue that sliders cause arm trouble, not curveballs. 

It is my hypothesis that many pitchers could very long careers by pitching a heady mix of these three pitches with emphasis on the first two: 
  • Sinker/Two-Seam Fastball,
  • Changeup, and 
  • Cutter. 
I am intrigued about the knuckleball, however. Knuckleball pitchers are such a ragtag, giving, and unique club of human beings. For most folks, they think they have to totally commit to the pitch. 

When Mussina pitched, he used a knuckle-curve. I don't know how the hell to pitch that.

On Friday afternoon Kyle Hendricks of the Cubs pitched a complete game shutout versus the Cardinals. He only threw 81 pitches. 63 of them were strikes.  

What Hendricks did to the Cardinals is what I believe some people call "a Maddux": when a pitcher throws a complete game with fewer than 100 pitches.I think Maddux did it 13 times. 

No comments: