Friday, May 3, 2019

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: White Bean and Avocado Salad

I made this the other night from a recipe in Milk Street Magazine. It's in the May-June issue and is officially called "Athens' White Bean and Avocado Salad." 

I like what I made, but I've already thought of ways I would modify the recipe because I think it needs more avocados, I used limes instead of a lemon, and adding some chopped cilantro might even make it taste better. 

So here's my modification of the recipe. 

Ingredients
4 cans of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2-3 tablespoons of minced garlic
1/3 of a red onion, minced
2-3 avocados, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1-2 limes, juiced and zested
1/2 cup of red wine vinegar
4-5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 to 1 cup of flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/4 cup of dill, chopped
1/4 cup of cilantro, chopped
Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste

Process
Rinse and drain the beans and put them into a large mixing bowl. Add the onion and avocados. Squeeze the lime juice, pour the vinegar, and add the lime juice and zest on top of the avocados. Drizzle olive oil, add the herbs, and mix. Salt and pepper to taste. 

No comments: