Sunday, August 23, 2026

Random Notes from a Crank

President Adolf has restarted his trade war with Canada. Read all about it in "What Canadian Goods Will Take Trump's 50% Tariffs" in The New York Times

Having spent some time in Victoria, BC this month, I noticed that quite a few homes were flying the Canadian flag. I also saw some bumper stickers with the maple-leaf flag on it saying, "Not for Sale." 

A notoriously nice populace is motivated and mobilized. A common refrain I got from cashiers the short time I was there in Victoria was, "No worries." 

I'd also use that phrase if I had universal health care. 

And the one liquor store I visited near my eldest kid's apartment had very little bourbon. It looked like it only had what was left before the ban on U.S. liquor imports happened. 

Whether Canadians will go back to buying American beer, wine, and liquor remains to be seen: "'A Bad Taste in My Mouth': Will Canadians Buy U.S. Booze Again?"

With new tariffs being imposed by with this dumbass administration, I suspect the boycotts on American juice will remain. 


The concerns are real about data centers. If a political candidate wants to go across party lines, oppose the building of data centers: "The Data Center Backlash Bursts into the Midterms." 

No comments: