Thursday, August 10, 2023

Apostrophe Abuse: Oakland As Cap and a Jesus Bumper Sticker

 


This is a new feature for this blog. There's an old blog that documented "apostrophe abuse" that is no longer available on the InterWebs. So I'm taking up that lost writer's mantle. 

And I'll have another feature that takes after another defunct blog titled The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks

I care about the proper care of language. 

The first culprit of apostrophe abuse is the cap for the Oakland Athletics. There's not need for an apostrophe. 

It should be just like this: As

I actually kind of like the Athletics, but I can't stomach buying one of the team's caps with the unnecessary apostrophe. 

The other culprit I saw today when I was running errands. There was a mini-van ahead of me that had this bumper sticker: "Jesus loves you," but the "loves" was spelled with a heart image followed by an apostrophe and an "s." 

No comments: