Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Musing of the Moment: Adopting British Terms

Since I watch Premier League football (we Americans just need to stop calling it soccer) and watch YouTube programs devoted to matters related to Tottenham Hotspur, I've been picking up a number of British slang terms and commonly used words as I watch the videos. 

I'm interested in expanding my vocabulary by adding certain words and vulgarities/insults from the Brits.

Here's a list of them I'm targeting to add to my lexicon:

  • Fancy: I like the word as an option for "like" or having a desire, such as "I fancy how you look today."
  • Rubbish: It's a word for trash, but I like how it also means nonsense. 
  • Gutted: The term means that someone is extremely upset. 
  • Bollocks: This word refers to one's balls, but I guess it also is a general term for expressing anger
  • Daft: It's a term for being a bit stupid or silly.
  • Dodgy: The word mean something akin to "sketchy." 
  • Whinge: This odd term means to whine. 
  • Shambalic: Football pundits often use this word when a team's performance is terrible or in shambles, such as "their defense was shambalic." 
  • Knackered: It means exhausted. Alasdair Gold uses this quite often in his videos. 
  • Shag: Nooky. To make the "beast with two backs." To fuck.
  • Box clever: This term means to do something smartly.
  • Gaffer: This word means manager, coach, or director. In football, it means the head coach. 
  • Wanker: It's an insult meaning jerk or asshole. This is one of my favorites, you wankers.
  • Mental: The word means someone has gone crazy, such as "He's absolutely mental." 
  • Muppet: The term indicates a stupid person, not one of Jim Henson's creations. 

No comments: