Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Top Ten/Twenty Albums of 2019

It's that time of the year again.

Like I did in 2010201120122013201420152016, 2017, and 2018, I'm providing my top choices of albums that came out this year. 

I didn't acquire as much new music as I have in past years, so if there are other albums you would recommend that came out in 2019, please let me know in the comments section. 

I'm providing my top ten albums with a handful of honorable mentions. 

1. Sturgill Simpson, SOUND & FURY



If people thought Simpson's last album was an experiment because of the inclusion of horns, I wonder what they think about this one. This album was a total surprise to me. I enjoy his whole discography, but this opus delivers wildly different goods than what we're accustomed to from a singer-songwriter of the Americana ilk. The pulsing beats and experimental melodies are wonderful. Do yourself a favor and watch the film on Netflix. It's a trip. 

Favorite Songs: "Make Art Not Friends," "Best Clockmaker on Mars," "Mercury in Retrograde," and "Sing Along"


2. Gary Clark Jr, This Land



Like Isbell's song from last year, "Hope the High Road," Clark's leadoff song on this fine album, "This Land," is a political punch in the gut. That song, for me, is the 2019 Song of the Year. The album is a mix of traditional blues, rock-n-roll, and soulful tunes. Mr. Clark has turned himself into one of those artists who puts out consistent, well plotted albums. I look forward to more and more of them. 

Favorite Songs: "This Land," "Dirty Dishes Blues," "Gotta Get Into Something," and "Feed the Babies"


3. Black Pumas, self-titled



This duo is apparently nominated for Best New Artist at the Grammys. I suspect they might win unless Maggie Rogers (see below) wins the award. I suspect you've heard their single, "Colors," sometime along the line this year. Their music reminds me of the great R&B/Soul records of the 60s and 70s, especially the work of Bill Withers, who was phenomenal. I don't know much about these guys besides the fact they're based out of Austin, which is a musical hothouse. 

Favorite Songs: "Touch the Sky," "Fire," "Colors," and "Know You Better" 


4. Michael Kiwanuka, KIWANUKA



Over the years I've heard Kiwanuka's tunes and enjoyed them, but I never took the plunge and actually bought one of his albums. I rewarded myself and acquired his 2019 release. I guess he's considered an alternative artist, but it sounds like good old fashioned R&B to me. "Final Days" is one of my favorite songs of the year. 

Favorite Songs: "Final Days," "Hero," "Piano Joint (This Kind of Love)," and "Solid Ground"


5. Jon Batiste, Chronology of a Dream



Mr. Batiste and his backing band Stay Human are known for their work on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, and a week or so back the band played one of the songs from this album on the show. I loved the song. So I bought the album. Batiste has two albums out this year that are live at the Village Vanguard. I prefer this one over the other one, which is featured in the honorable mention section. I might be purchasing more jazz albums this coming year. Batiste and his mates have reaffirmed my interest in traditional jazz. 

Favorite Songs: "PRINCE," "PWWR," "KENNER," and "BIRTHE" 


6. Maggie Rogers, Heard It In A Past Life



I got interested in her work after hearing the single "Light On" via the Sirius XM Spectrum channel. I guess one way you might describe her music is alternative pop. This album fulfills my need when I have to listen to some pop-like tunes. 

Favorite Songs: "Fallingwater," "Past Life," "Burning," and "Light On"


7. The Hold Steady, Thrashing Thru the Passion



I almost missed that one of my favorite rock bands pushed out a new album this year. It doesn't disappoint. The drum beat and menacingly fun guitar riffs on "You Did Good Kid" are addictive as hell. As usual, Finn pens fine lyrics that tell interesting stories. 

Favorite Songs: "You Did Good Kid," "T-Shirt Tux," "Entitlement Crew," and "Traditional Village"  


8. Tedeschi Trucks Band, Signs



This massively sized band put out another good album this year. Like all their other albums, it's a heady mix of blues and rock with horns thrown in. 

Favorite Songs: "They Don't Shine," "Shame," "Still Your Mind," and "Signs, Hard Times" 


9. Justin Townes Earle, The Saint of Lost Causes



I think one could argue that this album is JTE's best effort since Harlem River Blues. But my evaluation is colored by my bias for uptempo songs, which this album features. 

Favorite Songs: "Ain't Got No Money," "Mornings in Memphis," "Flint City Shake It," "Appalachia Nightmare"


10. Son Volt, Union



Considering the times, Jay Farrar returned to political songs. I can't say I'm surprised. I still hanker for rock-forward tunes of the earlier years (think Swing Wide Tremelo). 

Favorite Songs: "The Symbol," "The 99," "When Rome Burns," and "Devil May Care" 


Honorable Mentions

Todd Snider, Cash Cabin Sessions No. 3




Bob Mould, Sunshine Rock




Craig Finn, I Need a New War



Joe Pug, The Flood in Color




Chemical Brothers, No Geography




Jon Batiste, Anatomy of Angels


No comments: