Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Unpopular Opinion: Why Should I Assume You're Lying?

There are a couple of verbal viruses mucking about in our spoken lexicon. And I'm tired of them. 

The first verbal virus, and this is one that I hear often among young people, is the statement before one says something true. The person often says, "I'm not going to lie." 

Here's an example: "I'm not going to lie. I thought we were going do better today." 

The other virus that I'm tired of hearing is the phrase, "To be honest." 

An example: "To be honest, I didn't think much about him as a candidate until I started researching him." 

The problem with both of these viruses is the speaker, by uttering such words, is assuming that people think they are liars. 

Why do you want people to assume you're a liar? 

Cut the verbal refuse that doesn't nothing to add to the conversation. 

No comments: