Friday, August 19, 2022

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Shrimp and Squash Rice Bowl

The person who has the office next to me gave me some zucchini and yellow crookneck squash the other day. She offered me some tomatoes and cucumbers, but I have plenty of those this summer from my own garden. 

I usually don't have luck making squash, but I tried something yesterday that worked. 

Now I don't remember any Chinese-inspired dishes that use zucchini or yellow squash, but I used some soy sauce and leftover rice to make it Chinese-like. 

Ingredients
  • 1 small onion, chopped roughly
  • 1 medium size zucchini, cut into thin half moons
  • 1 yellow crookneck squash, cut into thin half moons
  • 2-3 TBs of rosemary-infused olive oil
  • Healthy smattering of Penzey's Mural of Flavor seasoning
  • 2 handfuls of thawed and already cooked shrimp
  • Salt and pepper
  • Soy sauce to taste
  • White or brown rice

Process
Put the olive oil in cast iron skillet (or wok I guess) on medium-high heat and dump in the onions. Sweat them for approximately ten minutes and then put in the squash. Move the heat down to medium. 

Add salt and pepper and Mural of Flavor seasoning and move the squash around so the sides don't get burnt. After the squash are relatively soft, add in the shrimp, and add the soy sauce. Turn off the heat and let the residual heat warm up the shrimp but not overcook them. 

Put newly cooked or leftover rice in a bowl and ladle the shrimp-squash-onion concoction over it. 

No comments: