Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Sesame Cole Slaw

I made a vinegar and oil cole slaw a couple of weeks ago. It turned out pretty good. Somewhere along the line, Mrs. Nasty provided this comment, "Why don't you use that Asian sesame dressing instead next time?"

Mrs. Nasty got what she wanted.

The next time I made cole slaw I used the store-bought "Asian toasted sesame" dressing. If I were to really turn it up a notch, I would also use some sesame oil and sesame seeds, but I didn't have any of that stuff on hand. Long ago I gave up on trying to make my own Chinese food. I figured I'd leave it to the experts, Chinese-Americans. 

Anyway, here a simple cole slaw.

Ingredients:
Half of a head of cabbage, cut into fine shards
Half of a green bell pepper, chopped finely
2 green onions, chopped finely
2 carrots, shredded
2 healthy drizzlings of soy sauce
Smidge of Sriracha
Enough sesame dressing to cover the slaw but not make it all gloppy
cracked black pepper to taste

Mix everything in a large bowl, transfer to a container, and refrigerate. 

No comments: