Thursday, January 8, 2009

Airplanes and Tomato Juice

After traveling quite a bit during my first ('02) and second ('07) academic job searches compounded the other airline travel I've done over the years, I've come to a stunning hypothesis.

Here it is: Air travel makes people drink tomato juice.

I've been on a lot of planes over the years, and I'm usually surprised by how many people ask for tomato juice when the flight attendant does the rounds. This phenomenon has to contrast the overall yearly sales in supermarkets, doesn't it? I mean, are that many people drinking straight tomato juice on regular basis? 

Is it the power of suggestion and/or imitation? Some bozo at the front of the plane asks for tomato juice, other people see that supple red liquid being poured, and they want some. 

Or is it because when many people travel on vacations they see tomato juice as something different from their normal routines? They're flying damn it, so let the Beefsteak juice pour, baby. 

Here's another observation I made over holiday break: Disney is a good place to go if you're a connoisseur of bad tattoos. 

2 comments:

Aaron said...

When I was a kid I thought the only place you could get ginger ale was on an airplane.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Ginger ale goes well with bourbon. At least that's what I've been told.